Monday 16 April 2007

Brutti ma Buoni

It's raining again today and luckily I didn't have to go into work. Kind of getting cabin fever not leaving the house for 2 days. Good thing we were invited to our friends place for dinner tonight so we'll have to leave the house. Paul decided to make some ice cream to bring over to go with dessert and the recipe called for 9 egg yokes. There were going to be all these egg whites left over so I decided to find a recipe that calls for egg whites only to use them up. Almost all the recipes that I found were for some type of mousse cake or something like that. Or the other recipes were for meringues. I found a recipe from Mario Batali on the foodnetwork website for a cookie called "Brutti ma Buoni" which translates to "Ugly but Good". I was wondering how ugly can this cookie be and how good could it taste? So I decided to give it a go. The recipe calls for 7 large ege whites, 1 pound of sliced almonds, 2 1/2 cups of sugar, 1 tbs vanilla extract and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. This is the outcome! You be the judge as to if they're ugly or not and I guess since we made them we'll let you know how they taste.



They're not bad considering it's the first time I ever made them and also I'm not a big fan of meringues. They taste just like meringues except with almond slices. Anyways the next time I make them I wouldn't use the full recipe. You see how many there are! There should've been a warning on the recipe. Oh well. You bake you learn. Later.

1 comment:

Paul Rowley said...

Belli e buoni. Beautiful sugary gems.